Frequently Asked Questions about Bitdefender Endpoint Security Agent
Bitdefender GravityZone provides full visibility into organizations' overall security posture, global security threats, and control over its security services that protect virtual or physical desktops, servers and mobile devices. All Bitdefender's Enterprise Security solutions are managed within the GravityZone through a single console, Control Center, that provides control, reporting, and alerting services for various roles within the organization
This article answers most frequently asked questions regarding Bitdefender Endpoint Security Agent.
- Does Bitdefender Endpoint Security Agent connect to Bitdefender Cloud Servers outside of my organization?
- What features of Bitdefender Endpoint Security Agent use off-premise scanning and why?
- How does off-premise scanning work?
- How is my company data treated?
- Does off-premise scanning comply with data protection regulation?
- Where are Bitdefender Cloud Servers located?
Does Bitdefender Endpoint Security Agent connect to Bitdefender Cloud Servers outside of my organization?
Yes, it does. Our Endpoint Security inherits the latest technologies developed by Bitdefender, some of which are using off-premise scanning technologies for enhanced performance and optimal footprint. The outmost benefit brought by our off-premise technologies is that any endpoint across the organization will be constantly hooked to this updated repository hosted by Bitdefender. Moreover, the Bitdefender endpoint agent leverages proprietary caching mechanisms which help to minimize the traffic and optimize scanning performance.
Content Control feature uses Bitdefender off-premise scanning technologies which proactively analyze against threats and categorize websites, enabling our customers to have the most comprehensive and accurate status about any website. Bitdefender off-premise technologies bring the following benefits:
- A lighter footprint and minimal system consumption instead of a full-blown security agent
- Much faster and more accurate processing of database interrogations for each website
- Real-time validation of any given website through immediate access to Bitdefender Cloud services.
Antiphishing feature also uses Bitdefender off-premise scanning technologies. Every hour, phishing sites are created with the purpose of engineering scams whereby users have personal details stolen through fake websites that mimic online properties of real organizations.
Our phishing research labs are able to identify new phishing threats and enhance detection in order to extend the level of protection for endpoints by identifying the newest phishing and fraud attacks in the market.
Antimalware feature uses off-premise scanning technologies in order to add another layer of defense for the newest and most harmful threats out there, together with 0-day malware detections monitored by our AVC module.
- Our Bitdefender Cloud Services are able to analyze the newest threats from the market and immediately provide a response about potentially harmful processes running on your computer.
- As such, even when your Endpoint has not downloaded yet the latest signatures, interrogating Bitdefender Cloud Services will still provide a quick protection for this kind of threats.
The files that are scanned and checked with Bitdefender Cloud Servers are only suspicious Portable Executable (PE) files. Bitdefender Endpoint Security Agent creates a file fingerprint, an abstract signature that uniquely identifies the file and that signature is checked against Bitdefender Cloud Services repository to see if it is potential malware or not. The signature does not contain data from the actual file. The file itself does not leave the computer or the premises of your company.
No file or part of file is leaving the premises of your company. It is only the abstract file signature that is checked against Bitdefender Cloud Services repository and only for suspicious Portable Executable (PE) files. Any files of your company containing company data (for example documents, spreadsheets, databases) are not subject to this procedure.
Our Company has a great concern regarding the data protection and privacy. Bitdefender treats your personal data in accordance with current applicable legislation. As explained above, Bitdefender Endpoint Security Agent off-premise scanning with Bitdefender Cloud Services is not processing company data in any way by this procedure.
Off-premise queries are done to the nearest Bitdefender Cloud Servers available to you. Currently our server farm is spread in Japan, South Korea, Germany, US East Coast, US West Coast and Romania. Only in extreme and rare situations, where the regional server is not answering, another nearest server is used until the communication with the closest one is reestablished.