Troubleshoot Bitdefender failed updates using Wireshark
When your Bitdefender product cannot obtain product / signature updates from our Update Server, the Bitdefender Support Team may request a packet capture for troubleshooting the issue. For this purpose, we recommend using Wireshark, a free (open source) packet capture software broadly used for analyzing network traffic.
The Bitdefender Support Team usually requests a Wireshark capture for the following scenarios:
- The endpoint or the relay server fail to retrieve updates from Bitdefender Update Server (upgrade.bitdefender.com) or from the local relay server with errors indicating that a content-filtering solution or a network firewall might be blocking or filtering the packets.
For example, error code 1011, which indicates an IO time out in the Bitdefender product interface:
- Excessive traffic bandwidth usage during the distribution of product / signature updates to target endpoints.
Follow the next instructions to capture network packets with Wireshark and send them to Bitdefender Support Team:
- Install the Wireshark application.
- Launch Wireshark.
- Click Capture > Options…
- Click the interface on which you need to capture packets.
- Click Start to start the capture.
- Reproduce the reported issue.
Avoid running any internet application during the capture (close all web browsers, instant messengers etc.).
- After reproducing the issue, return to Wireshark and click Stop.
- Click File > Save as to save the capture as a default libpcap file format (.pcapng extension).
- Send the capture file to Bitdefender Support Team via the support ticket.